The Military College of South Carolina
give online buttongive online button apply now buttonapply now button

College Transfer FAQ

The Application Process
Q: Do I need to submit ACT/SAT scores?
A: No.

Q: Do I need letters of recommendation?
A: No.

Q: Does a transcript need to be official for evaluation?
A: Yes, all transcripts must be official. They need to come directly from the institution in a sealed envelope. Transcripts issued to the student are not considered official.

Q: Do I need to send transcripts from all educational institutions attended and at what point are credits too old to transfer?
A: Yes, we need all transcripts. Transfer credits are reviewed on an individual basis by the respective department of intended study to consider if the course qualifies for transfer.

Q: Can I apply directly to The Citadel or do I need to go through my partnering technical college of choice?
A: If you have not completed any college-level courses, we recommend that you first apply to the technical college and take foundational courses in Math, English, and Science. Ideally, you will complete all general education requirements at the technical college and then transfer to The Citadel to complete your degree. However, some departments, such as Business and Criminal Justice, allow students to take courses simultaneously at both campuses.

Q: Will my GPA transfer for courses or just the credit hours?
A: Courses will count for transfer credit ONLY.

Q: Must general education courses be completed at one of The Citadel's partnering technical colleges or can they be completed at another institution?
A: General education classes may be taken at another institution, but classes are subject to approval by the Registrar. Therefore, transcripts must be sent for evaluation. Once they are evaluated, the Registrar will let the student know which classes are accepted for transfer credit.

Q: Can I complete any of my general education courses at The Citadel?
A: Yes, during Maymester and summer school ONLY, general education courses are open to all students.

Q: Do I need to complete all general education courses before I can begin taking upper-level classes at The Citadel?
A: For the Engineering and Nursing programs, yes. For the Business, Political Science, Intelligence, Social Studies Education, and Criminal Justice programs, students can take courses simultaneously.

Q: Are there classes available during the day?
A: No, the classes are evening and online only EXCEPT in Maymester and summer school. The current schedule is available on the university website.

Q: Are there scholarships available for evening undergraduate students?
A: Yes, but they are limited. Please refer to the Financial Aid Office at The Citadel for any tuition and scholarship related questions.

Q: How will financial aid be distributed if I am taking classes at both colleges (institution on record)?
A: Please refer to the Financial Aid Office at The Citadel for any tuition and scholarship related questions.

Q: At which institution will my advisor be if I am taking classes at both a technical college and The Citadel?
A: The student will have an advisor at each institution, but they will work together to help make your transition as seamless as possible.

Q: Will my diploma be different than the Corps of Cadets undergraduate program?
A: Yes, the diploma for Evening Undergraduate Studies (EUGS) is different from what cadets receive. All evening undergraduate students participate in The Citadel Graduate College (CGC) commencement exercises.

Q: Do I need to complete my degree in a designated number of years, and if so, how many?
A: Students are given a six year limit to complete their degrees. If an extension is needed, it can be requested at that time through the Registrar's Office.

Back to Top