THE SWAIN BOATING CENTER
Revised October 2021
The Citadel officially broke ground on March 22, 2018 for the Swain Boating Center, the new state-of-the-art facility that will replace The Citadel Yacht Club, which was demolished in the fall of 2017 after having fallen into disrepair. The new boating center provides cadets, graduate students, faculty, and staff with unprecedented access to the Ashley River and all the athletic, recreational, and educational opportunities it affords.
The modernized Swain Boating Center is available for use by cadet clubs and functions as a premier event space both on campus and through the Charleston community.
Shoreline enhancement was completed in May 2018 and now has a new floating dock that can accomodate small sailboats, power boats and canoes. The Class of 1981 Pavilion features a gas log fireplace, picnic tables and 2 charcoal grills.
The Citadel Boating Center began as the Citadel Yacht Club and has been in existence since the 1920's. Access to the facility began as a small creek meandering through the marsh - accessible at high tide only. Through the efforts of then President General Mark Clark the channel was constructed in 1955 for better access to the Ashley River.
For inquiries to event space availability, please contact:
Office of Event Management
Central Supply Warehouse.